The T-20 was designed in 1936. They were manufactured during 1937-1941 at Factory no. 37, as well as at STZ and GAZ. The tractor was designed to tow light artillery pieces such as the 45mm anti-tank gun and the 120mm heavy mortar. The tractor could tow the weapons themselves plus a small quantity of ammunition, usually towed in a limber, along with up to six crewmen. Occasionally, two limbers were towed to increase the ammunition supply.