At the beginning of WWII, as the German army was on their rapid offensive, the need arose for a highly mobile infantry support vehicle that could provide heavy firepower to help infantry breakthrough defenses. The Sturmgeschutz III was designed to meet this requirement, with the Ausf. B being the first mass produced variant. Featuring a well armored crew compartment with 50mm front and 30mm side armor and armed with a 75mm StuK 37 L/24 gun, these vehicles were used during the invasion of the Balkans as well as in Operation Barbarossa. As the war went on, the StuG III found itself evolving into a tank destroyer in addition to its assault gun role, and were often used as replacements for actual battle tanks.
- Photo-etched parts such as rear air intake mesh and headlight covers provide an extra level of realism.
- Precision-made aluminum barrel for the short 75mm main gun, complete with inner barrel rifling, is included with this kit.
- Realistic suspension is fully moveable, allowing the tracks to conform to any surface undulation for added diorama possibilities.
- Hatches may be modelled in the open position to reveal crew compartment details and engine room.
- 4 types of high-quality markings included, along with a full color painting guide.