The heavy 4.5t cargo truck L4500A, originally developed for civilian use, has been widely in service with all German military units during World War II both on Western and Eastern fronts. A total of 9.500 trucks were manufactured from 1939-1944, most of them for the Wehrmacht. Due to the lack of production material, the cabin was replaced with the simplified standardized Wehrmacht cabin and the mud wings with simplified wings in 1943. The L4500 had a 7.2 litter diesel engine with 112 HP and existed in 2 basic versions 2-wheel drive S and 4-wheel drive A. Unlike the L 4500S, the L 4500A has an off-road gear, which automatically switches on the front-wheel-drive, and disables even torque distribution.